Friday, 24 January 2014
Well, my productivity has been cut drastically by having a litter of rambunctious and adorable kittens running around the house...
...Not that I thought it would be any other way.
It's so hard to be motivated to do anything when you've got three adorable kittens asleep on your lap. You don't want to move an inch for fear of waking them up and having them be rowdy again. Plus, they just look so cute when they are asleep :)
But enough about kittens. On to today's recipe!
One of my favorite things is recipes you can make all in one pot/dish/pan. It means less mess, less clean up, and generally less work. I adore one-pot cooking! Naturally, I was drawn to this skillet lasagna, not only because it's a one-pot dish but also because I got to use the Boyfriend's lovely cast-iron skillet (which he is quite protective over, even though I gifted it to him..)
While this might not be the prettiest dish you'll ever make, it is remarkably tasty. And for a lasagna dish, it is also relatively quick and easy with not a lot of difficult prep. Take a look, and enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 40 mins Yields 4 servings
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
2 tsps Italian seasoning, divided
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
4 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into large pieces
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (12-oz) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
1/2 cup water
5 tsps pesto
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1) Combine beef and salt in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Add vinegar and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and stir until combined.
2) Dollop ricotta cheese in rounded tablespoons over the beef mixture. Top with broken lasagna noodles making one flat layer.
3) Pour the tomatoes and bell peppers evenly over the top of the noodles. Add water and sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning. Dollop pesto over top of tomato and pepper mixture.
4) Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for about 30 minutes, until noodles are fully cooked.
5) Remove cover and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover again and let stand for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Uncover and serve immediately.
(Recipe adapted from The Best of Mr. Food: 15-Minute Recipes)