Thursday, 25 July 2013
Chocolate Bar Brownies
In a few days, I'm heading off for a week at my cottage on Prince Edward Island. Every year, my family heads over to the cottage for a few weeks of sun, relaxation, and fun at the beach. The last few years, I have only been able to get over for a long weekend or two and haven't been able to enjoy cottage time as much because of work and summer jobs.
This year, I don't have that problem (problem = work/a job), and I am going over to the cottage for a nice long stretch of time! I couldn't be happier :)
As well, I will be celebrating my birthday in PEI! I say that, but I've already had a few birthday celebrations. My sister planned a big surprise overnight trip last Sunday for me and a couple friends who also have birthdays around this time. I was quite surprised, especially when I discovered that my mother and the Boyfriend had been accomplices in her master plan!
As well, I was surprised for a SECOND time when, a few nights ago, the Boyfriend's mom made me a DELICIOUS chocolate-peanut butter cheesecake!
She just gets me, you know?
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I will be away for about 2 weeks and won't have access to internet, therefore no new blog posts. But don't worry, I'll be cooking up a storm and will have lots of new things for you when I return from my vacation!
I may get one more post in before I leave, but if not, then enjoy the next few weeks and hopefully you all can find some time for relaxing!! Toodles ;)
Chocolate Bar Brownies
Bake Time: 15mins Yields: 40 brownies
2/3 cup salted butter
7 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
5 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2/3 cup whipping cream
Chopped chocolate bars or candy (I used dairy milk bars, but you could use any chocolate bar or candy, such as whoppers, turtles, rolos, etc.)
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment paper, set aside.
2) In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and both chocolate. Stir until completely melted together and smooth. Let cool for ten minutes.
3) Whisk in sugar and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Using a wooden spoon, add flour and salt and stir until completely combined. Spread into the prepared pan.
4) Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the squares comes out with a few moist crumbs on it. Let cool in the pan on a rack.
1) Place prepared chocolate into a heatproof bowl.
2) In a small saucepan, bring whipping cream just to a boil. Pour over top of chocolate and stir until completely melted and smooth. Let cool for about 3 minutes.
3) Spread topping over brownies. Sprinkle the chopped chocolate candy or chocolate bars evenly over the top of the brownies. Cool completely, then cut into bars. Brownies can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week, or frozen for up to 2-3 months.
(Recipe adapted from Canadian Living: Best Brownies and Bars)