As I may have said already, this week is my spring break week. My one week of freedom before I get right back into the swing of things with class, homework, projects, papers, assignments...the list goes on. Since the boyfriend had his spring break week a few weeks ago, I have had lots of time to myself.
This week has been a good opportunity for me to clean up the house and get myself ready for the new term, but to be honest, that doesn't take up quite as much time as one might think (or at least not for me!). Needless to say, I have had lots of spare time, and I have been trying to use that time to tackle some quality baking and cooking. It has been an excellent week so far!
Today, I am sharing these delicious squares with you. I thought it would be appropriate to share these now because, although you can't see it very well from these photos, the filling is actually green (albeit, a very light shade of green).
We all know St Patrick's Day is approaching quickly, and we also know that I am terrible for making seasonal foods in enough time to post them before the actual day. Well, I'm trying to be more on the ball for this holiday, so that I'll actually have some recipes to share with you! I have a few others in the bag, so I'm feeling pretty good about myself :) This recipe is actually no-bake, so for all you people who are hesitant around the oven, fear not!
Hope you enjoy the recipe and be on the lookout for more holiday recipes coming soon!
Total prep time: Approx. 1 hour Yields 36 squares
THE MINT FILLING
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring
THE CHOCOLATE BASE
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup oreo crumbs
3/4 cup flaked coconut
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 Tbsps butter, melted
1) In a large bowl, beat together the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup butter, peppermint extract and food coloring. Press into a wax-paper lined 9x9inch square pan. Freeze until firm.
2) In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1/2 cup butter, cocoa, and granulated sugar, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. While whisking the chocolate mixture, add the egg and whisk quickly until slightly thickened.
3) Add the oreo crumbs, coconut, and graham cracker crumbs into the chocolate mixture, stirring until completely combined.
4) Line a 9x9inch square pan with foil. Scatter half the crumb mixture into the pan and press down firmly. Remove the peppermint layer from the freezer and remove the wax paper. Lay the peppermint layer on top of the crumb layer. Scatter the remaining crumb mixture on top of the peppermint and press down firmly.
5) Melt the chocolate chips and butter together in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until completely combined and smooth. Pour chocolate over squares and spread evenly across the top. Chill until the chocolate has set. Cut into squares, and store in the refrigerator.
(Recipe adapted from Festive Baking)