Saturday, 8 September 2012
Blueberry Boy Bait
My dad always jokes that my Grandmother's Blueberry Boy Bait recipe is the dish that finally did it for him. When he was seeing my mom he'd come over to her house and my Grandmother would cook him all these amazing meals and desserts, but this was the BEST thing he'd ever been served. The joke is that the recipe really DOES work to bait the boys (Ladies, this one is for you. Take notes!)
About a month ago, the Boyfriend's parents brought us a few boxes of fresh blueberries, so I figured it would be the perfect time to whip up a batch of boy bait. This was actually the first time I had tried the recipe for myself, so I was pretty excited. I love trying to recreate my Grandmother's recipes because she really is one of the best cooks/bakers I have ever known. Everything she makes is a hit among the masses.
I must say, it turned out quite well and the boyfriend and I gobbled it down pretty quickly. I know blueberries aren't always in season, but if you are able to get your hands on some fresh berries, I would definitely recommend this family classic!
Last Month: Brownie Truffle Bars
Blueberry Boy Bait
Bake Time: 40-50 mins Yields 8-10 servings
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups butter
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 13x9 inch baking pan. Set aside.
2) Sift together flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Cut in 2/3 cup of butter. Measure out and set aside 3/4 cup of this mixture (this will serve as the topping).
3) To the remaining mixture, add baking powder, salt, unbeaten egg yolks, and milk. Beat until completely combined, about 3 minutes.
4) In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Fold the whites into the batter.
5) Spread the batter into your prepared pan. Arrange the blueberries evenly over the top of the batter, then sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture over top.
6) Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.